Abstract Art may seem outrageously free, but in actual fact, it always has a firm rationale.
What can hold everything together?
- A composition, what we can call a formal foundation. Some types of composition include an overall design (be careful here as this design can get repetitious and visually boring)
- a radial design (everything radiates from the center)
- a grid in any axis (for example, horizontal, vertical and diagonal)
- a triangular design (the scalene triangle is easier to work with because its sides are all different lengths)
- the bridge design (something connects one side to the other)
- the cruciform (cross-shape); the rectangle within a rectangular frame
- and many designs based on the shapes of letters (L, S and Z, H and T designs are some of the more common ones).