, Online Apps and more.
Complementary colours are pairs of colours that contrast with each other more than any other colour, and when placed side-by-side make each other look brighter.
“Color makes its impact from contrasts rather than from its inherent qualities….the primary colours seem more brilliant when they are in contrast with their complementary colours.”
- Complementary Colors that are opposite each other on the colour wheel.
- They are pairs of colours based on different wavelengths.
- Example: red and green
- Example: Traffic lights are high contract complementaries and one secondary.
- The high contrast of complementary colours creates a vibrant look, especially when used at full saturation.
- The negative side of mixing complementaries is then when mixed to a 50 – 50 ratio they will balance each other out and create dull grey.